15 de julio de 2009

[[INTERVIEWS]] Blair Talks 'Poker House,' 'Cruel' Kiss

Actress Says Infamous 'Cruel Intentions' Kiss Was 'A Cultural Moment'


Ever since she burst onto the scene in 1999's 'Cruel Intentions,' Selma Blair has taken roles of all shapes and sizes, though generally, she plays characters much younger than her actual age thanks to her "little pudgy face," as she calls it. Now, she's taking on a much more mature role -- that of a strung-out junkie mother in Lori Petty's semi-autobiographical film 'The Poker House.' PopEater chatted with Selma about her new role, her racy 'Cruel Intentions role (and yes, the lesbian kiss between her and Sarah Michelle Gellar) and how she enjoys a good chat with the paparazzi.

Read It All Below:
How do you go about preparing for a role like yours, being a junkie?
I find the ones that are darker to be more truthful. My experience as a person goes that way more than the energetic stuff I play. Even though my part isn't too huge, I think Lori did a brilliant job with the writing. I spoke to her about her mother, and just really got honest with myself about moments where I've encountered people like this.
How true to form is the story?
I'm not sure. Lori kept telling me 'bigger, uglier.' The moments you're with people that are really screwing up in life and are still trying to get attention, those are big, ugly moments. After somebody saw the screening, they said 'Oh, a big over-the-top performance from Selma Blair,' and I was like 'No, that's contained for what we're dealing with.' People forget how big and ugly things can be.
Is there a performance from the past you studied that played the junkie role?
I don't think I did because I'm such a mimic I'd just wind up copying them. It's just something where I wanted to be there in the moment ... and not really see her. Look at her through drug-stained eyes. I loved that challenge.
You were born in 1972... that was very surprising given how young you look.
Oh, thank you. I've kind of made my career off of playing much younger people, but I think those days are probably gone. I think this year it caught up with me. It's such a gift because it allowed me to get into this business. When I was playing 14-year-old Cecile Caldwell in 'Cruel Intentions' I was 26 years old. I would have never been able to get a job in Hollywood without much professional experience without that teen craze that hit. I'm so grateful I got to play these immature characters and that my little pudgy face worked for youth. It's difficult though, because there's roles I want now of accomplished, stronger women, and they're like 'What? You're like a woman-child.' So, things need to shift.
Do you think this role will receive the 'attractive actress goes ugly for a role' label?
I don't know if anyone ever considered me to be such a great beauty to begin with, so I don't think they'd think I uglied it down. [laughs] It is fun to play a character where you can rough yourself up a bit, but I haven't thought at all about people's reactions.
Skip over this content
How did you manage to not go off the rails early on in your career like many people do?
Well, there's still time for that. We're not out of the woods until the fat lady sings. But, I was a grown-up. I went to college, I was a triple major. I considered myself really, really lucky to get to work. It happens that people mess up, and then they get back on track. I'm not going to judge anyone.
What's the most interesting or irritating paparazzi incident you've had?
I don't get the barrage of them, but it's such a major business that every actress does now and then. I've had some really sweet paparazzi. There's been days where I've been feeling lonely, walking my dog and someone takes my picture and I strike up a conversation. I think 'Oh, that's a very nice guy' ... I wish I had more makeup on and did my hair, but still nice.
Do you think the 'Cruel Intentions' kiss between you and Sarah Michelle Gellar was a culturally significant moment, and the catalyst for all of the recent obsession with same-sex kisses on TV and in Hollywood?
I think that whole movie is a cultural moment. Besides the John Hughes movies of the '80s, this was the first wave of movies where teens are telling explicit stories and being the stars of movies again. It started this huge wave of it, and this kissing scene which I didn't think at the time was a big deal, it opened the door for a lot of ... even though my character wasn't a lesbian, it opened the door for a lot of same sex relationships to be on TV and in movies.
Do you think the movie paved the way for shows like 'Gossip Girl'?
It absolutely paved the way for shows like that. Youth is beautiful. Even ugly young people are beautiful. The stories are so dramatic, and I think people were really excited and were like 'Why aren't we doing more of this?' And now, of course, they are. And it's so much, and I'm not a teenager any more.